Healthy people understand that regular physical checkups are a normal part of life. A trained physician is able to diagnose physical problems – high blood pressure, cholesterol, various diseases and a host of physical maladies.
Diagnosing one’s spiritual health is also an important part of life. Don Whitney’s book, Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health presents a framework for spiritual health – a check list to gauge spiritual vitality.
The questions include:
1. Do you thirst for God?
2. Are you governed increasingly by God’s Word?
3. Are you more loving?
4. Are you more sensitive to God’s presence?
5. Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?
6. Do you delight in the bride of Christ?
7. Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you?
8. Do you still grieve over sin?
9. Are you a quick forgiver?
10. Do you yearn for heaven and to be with Jesus?
These powerful questions provide a basis to determine spiritual health. With the skill of a physician, Dr. Whitney has uncovered crucial questions that reveal weaknesses and sinful patterns in one’s spiritual life. Whitney’s work should be celebrated and used in personal discipleship.