It has been said that one look at a pocketbook will reveal the heart of a worshipper. The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn reaffirms this principle over and over. Alcorn is no stranger to the Christian publishing world. His best-selling novels have captivating readers for years. His jaw-dropping book, Heaven has comforted the sick and discouraged and instilled renewed hope in thousands of readers.
The subtitle of The Treasure Principle captures the essence of Alcorn’s thesis, namely – “discovering the secret of joyful giving.” 6 principles guide readers in their journey to joyful giving. Alcorn refers to these timeless truths as Treasure Principles. The order is important and readers must come to grips with each successive biblical idea. The treasure principles include:
1. God owns everything. I am his money manager.
2. My heart always goes where I put God’s money.
3. Heaven, not earth is my home.
4. I should live not for the dot but for the line (a call to developing an eternal perspective).
5. Giving is the only antidote to materialism.
6. God prospers me not to raise my standard of living , but to raise my standard of giving.
The Treasure Principle is a short book. But this little book will shake up readers. Anyone who seriously considers the principles in these pages cannot help but walk away changed and transformed.